Casadean sites of the Loire (42)


APINAC

The church in the diocese of Clermont (FRANCE - Puy-de-Dôme - 63), was under the patronage of the prior of La Chaulme 1339-1680 (FRANCE - Puy-de-Dôme - 63). The church of Apinac had patronage rights in La Chaulme. The prior was decimator (16th century).

Useful information :
Mairie – Place de l’Eglise – 42550 APINAC
Tel : 04 77 50 25 81 / Fax : 04 77 50 23 12
Email : mairie.apinac@wanadoo.fr
Net : www.apinac.fr

AVEIZIEUX

The church depended on the priory Saint-Medard-en-Forez (censive) (FRANCE - Loire - 42). The prior of Saint-Médard was lord righteous in Aveizieux.

Useful information :
Mairie – 1 Rue des Erables – 42330 AVEIZIEUX
Tel : 04 77 94 00 12 / Fax : 04 77 94 11 10
Email : mairie@mairieaveizieux.fr
Net : www.mairie-aveizieux.fr

BOEN-SUR-LIGNON (Saint-Laurent-Rochefort)

The church was under the patronage of Notre-Dame de l'Hôpital-sous-Rochefort priory (FRANCE - Loire - 42). It was confirmed at La Chaise-Dieu in 1116, at the priory in 1235. The prior of Notre-Dame had a censive in Saint-Laurent-Rochefort (FRANCE - Loire - 42).

Useful information :
Mairie – Place de l’Hôtel de Ville – BP 3 – 42130 BOEN-SUR-LIGNON
Tel : 04 77 97 72 40 / Fax : 04 77 24 09 06
Email : accueil@boen.fr
Net : www.boen.fr

BOISSET-LES-MONTROND

The church was recognized by the abbey of La Chaise-Dieu in 1116. It was at the presentation of the prior in 1225.

Useful information :
Mairie – Place de l’Eglise – 42210 BOISSET-LES-MONTROND
Tel : 04 77 54 40 16 / Fax : 04 77 94 56 70
Email : mairie.boisset42@wanadoo.fr
Net : www.boisset-les-montrond.com

BOURG-ARGENTAL

The church, in the diocese of Vienne (FRANCE - Isère - 38), was under the patronage of the prior. It depended on the priory of Saint-Sauveur-en-Rue (FRANCE - Loire - 42). The prior of Saint-Sauveur was decimator in Bourg-Argental (parish which included the communes of Thélis-the-Combe, Versanne-Ruthianges).

Useful information :
Mairie – Place de l’Hôtel de Ville – BP 10 – 42220 BOURG-ARGENTAL
Tel : 04 77 39 61 34 / Fax : 04 77 39 14 26
Email : mairie@bourgargental.fr
Net : www.bourg-argental.fr

BURDIGNES

The church, in the diocese of Vienne (FRANCE - Isère - 38), was under the patronage of the prior. It depended on the priory of Saint-Sauveur-en-Rue (FRANCE - Loire - 42). The prior of Saint-Sauveur was decimator at Burdignes.

Useful information :
Mairie – Le Bourg – 42220 BURDIGNES
Tel/Fax : 04 77 39 60 54
Courriel : ma-burdi@wanadoo.fr
Net : www.burdignes.com

CHALAIN-LE-COMTAL

The church confirmed in La Chaise-Dieu by the church of Lyon in 1116, was at the presentation of the prior of Savigneux (FRANCE - Loire - 42) in 1225.

Useful information :
Mairie – Place de la Mairie – 42600 CHALAIN-LE-COMTAL
Tel : 04 77 76 11 69 / Fax : 04 77 76 13 50
Email : mairie.chalain.le.comtal@wanadoo.fr

COLOMBIER

The Priory Saint-Robert was located 117 km from La Chaise-Dieu. It was united in 1254 to that of Saint-Sauveur-en-Rue (FRANCE - Loire - 42) because "its income was not enough for the maintenance of 2 monks". It was the first case of union of priories in the Casadean congregation. The chapel was an annex of the church of Saint-Julien-Molin-Molette (FRANCE - Loire - 42).

Useful information :
Mairie – Le Bourg – 42220 COLOMBIER
Tel : 04 77 51 54 23 / Fax : 04 77 51 59 23
Email : colombier.mairie@wanadoo.fr
Net : www.colombier-pilat.e-monsite.com

CRAINTILLEUX

The priory Saint-Léger was located 17 km from Montverdun (FRANCE - Loire - 42), to which it was submitted in 1233. The church was confirmed in La Chaise-Dieu in 1116. The prior had some cens to Craintilleux.

Useful information :
Mairie – Place Jean Dussurgey – 42210 CRAINTILLEUX
Tel : 04 77 54 63 16 / Fax : 04 77 54 72 78
Email : accueil.mairie-craintilleux@orange.fr
Net : www.craintilleux.fr

CREMEAUX

The priory Saint-Martin, known in 1225, was located 30 km from Montverdun (France - Loire - 42) to which it was submitted in 1233. The church was recognized in La Chaise-Dieu in 1116 by the church of Lyon (FRANCE - Rhone - 69), it was placed under the patronage of the prior. The prior was decimator partly with the lay lord of Cremeaux. The prior had at Cremeaux some lands. His cense arose in the order of Cremeaux.

Useful information :
Mairie – Place de Pierre Bénite – 42260 CREMEAUX
Tel : 04 77 62 50 67 / Fax : 04 77 62 55 40
Email : mairie.cremeaux@wanadoo.fr

L’HOPITAL-SOUS-ROCHEFORT

The priory Notre-Dame was located 91 km from La Chaise-Dieu. It depended on La Chaise-Dieu in 1329 but it had to go back to the 12th century. The priory maintained three monks. The church was recognized in La Chaise-Dieu by the church of Lyon in 1116. It was under the patronage of the prior in the thirteenth century. The parish church extended over La Valla, which became an annex church in the 17th century. The prior also had the patronage of the churches of Saint-Didier-Sur-Rochefort, Saint-Laurent-Rochefort and Rochefort (all FRANCE - Loire - 42). The prior was decimator at the Hospital, Rochefort, Saint-Didier, La Valla. The Prior had a censive at the Hospital, Saint-Laurent, Saint-Sixte, Saint-Jean, Saint-Julien, Saint-Priest-la-Vêtre and Champoly (all FRANCE - Loire - 42). He resided in a fortified house and was lord vigilante, under the care of the lay lord of Rochefort (1274).

Useful information :
Mairie – Le Bourg – 42130 L’HOPITAL-SOUS-ROCHEFORT
Tel/Fax : 04 77 24 59 26
Email : mairie.hopital@wanadoo.fr

LA CHAMBA

The church was under the patronage of the Saint-Pierre de Montverdun Priory (FRANCE - Loire - 42).

Useful information :
Mairie – Le Bourg – 42440 LA CHAMBA
Tel/Fax : 04 77 24 75 92
Email : mairie-lachamba@orange.fr

LA CHAPELLE-EN-LAFAYE

The church was united to the Casadean priory of La Chaulme (FRANCE - Puy-de-Dôme - 63), located in the area of influence of the castle of La Roue, which reported to the Counts of Forez. The prior of La Chaulme was decimator at La Chapelle-en-Lafaye.

Useful information :
Mairie – Le Bourg – 42380 LA CHAPELLE-EN-LAFAYE
Tel/Fax : 04 77 50 16 05
Email : mairie.lachapelle-en-lafaye@wanadoo.fr

MACLAS

The church was donated by Rodolphe III (994/1120). It depended on the priory Saint-André-le-Bas (Vienne - FRANCE - Isère - 38) of the diocese of Vienne.

Useful information :
Mairie – 104 Place Louis Gay – 42520 MACLAS
Tel : 04 74 87 38 04 / Fax : 04 74 87 39 20
Email : mairie@maclas.fr
Net : www.maclas.fr

MAGNEUX-HAUTERIVE (La Boulaine)

The rural priory Saint-Nicolas, known in 1225, was located 10 km from Montverdun (FRANCE - Loire - 42), to which it was submitted in 1233. The chapel was given to La Chaise-Dieu by the chapter of Lyon (FRANCE - Rhône - 69) in 1116, at the collation of the prior in 1225, also patron of the churches of Champ, Mornand-en-Forez (both FRANCE - Loire - 42). The prior raised tithes at Champ and Mornand-en-Forez.
The prior was lord of La Boulaine : his men owed him size, and from 1233 they were compelled to watch and guard the castle of Montverdun.

Useful information :
Mairie – Rue des Guenodes – 42600 MAGNEUX-HAUTE-RIVE
Tel : 04 77 76 10 76 / Fax : 04 77 76 18 16
Email : mairie.magneuxhauterive@wanadoo.fr

MALLEVAL

The church (1107/1120), depended on the priory Saint-Martin of Saint-Pierre-de-Boeuf (FRANCE - Loire - 42), in the diocese of Vienne (FRANCE - Isère - 38).

Useful information :
Mairie – Le Bourg – 42520 MALLEVAL
Tel : 04 74 87 12 54 / Fax : 04 74 87 12 85
Email : mairie.malleval@wanadoo.fr

MARLHES

The church depended on Saint-Sauveur-en-Rue (FRANCE - Loire - 42) in the 15th century, in the diocese of Puy-en-Velay (FRANCE - Haute-Loire - 43).

Useful information :
Mairie – 5 place Marcellin Champagnat – 42660 MARLHES
Tel : 04 77 51 80 57 / Fax : 04 77 51 83 98
Email : mairie.marl@wanadoo.fr

MONTBRISON

Originally Montbrison was part of the parish of Savigneux (FRANCE - Loire - 42), but the development of his city led the count to found, in 1233, the collegiate church of Notre-Dame de Montbrison, which was prejudicial to Casadian rights. This foundation led to a long conflict with La Chaise-Dieu, who was very obstinate in defending his privileges. The papacy had to intervene and the Pope Honorius III granted to the abbot, in compensation, the right to collect during one year the income of any canonical prebende coming to go by death in the collegiate church (1225). It was to replace one source of conflict with another : so the abbot abandoned this right in 1304 when the count renounced the patronage of the priory of Montverdun. The prior of Savigneux was decimator at Montbrison.

Useful information :
Mairie – Place de l’Hôtel de Ville – CS 50179 – 42605 MONTBRISON Cedex
Tel : 04 77 96 18 18 / Fax : 04 77 58 00 16
Email : mairie@ville-montbrison.fr
Net : www.ville-montbrison.fr

MONTBRISON (Moingt)

The priory of the Palais (Sainte-Eugénie), in the diocese of Lyon, was located 72 km from La Chaise-Dieu. It was founded around 1280, following the acquisition of the estate and the dîmerie du Palais. It was united in the fourteenth century, the abbey mense and the conventual monastery in 1549. The priory previously maintained the prior and two religious. The parish church of Moingt (Saint-Julien) was abandoned by the Count of Forez, Guillaume and given by the Archbishop Hugues to La Chaise-Dieu in 1096. She then remained in La Chaise-Dieu, under the patronage of the prior Savigneux (FRANCE - Loire - 42) around 1225. It still depended on the abbey in 1656, 1742. The priory was also built by purchases (1254-1410) and made La Chaise-Dieu the only decimator of the parish.
The prior had the seigniory of the Palace of Moingt, constituted by purchases (1254-1265), in the justice of the count who succeeded the chapter of Our Lady of Montbrison. Dîmerie and seigneurie assured La Chaise-Dieu an important supply of wine. Other seigneuries dipersées belonged to the prior; that of the Sauvetat on Saint-Anthème, Cruzolles on Saint-Jean-en-Couzan, as for the barn of Vinols on Ecotay, it was recognized by Geoffroi de Barges in 1335.

Useful information :
Mairie – Place de l’Hôtel de Ville – CS 50179 – 42605 MONTBRISON Cedex
Tel : 04 77 96 18 18 / Fax : 04 77 58 00 16
Email : mairie@ville-montbrison.fr
Net : www.ville-montbrison.fr

MONTVERDUN

The Priory Saint-Pierre, located 87 km from La Chaise-Dieu. Montverdun was the seat of a monastery of canons of Saint-Augustin, which their supposedly dissolute mores brought the archbishop of Lyon (FRANCE - Rhône - 69), Robert of Auvergne and the count of Forez, Guy, patron of the priory, to submit to La Chaise-Dieu in 1233 what Pope Gregory IX approved soon after. In reality, this transfer to La Chaise-Dieu was the last episode of a conflict between the Casadeans and the Counts of Forez since the founding of the collegiate church of Notre-Dame de Montbrison (FRANCE - Loire - 42) had reduced rights collected by the priors of Savigneux and Moingt in the county town. The most practical solution, if not the most equitable, was to unburden La Chaise-Dieu by submitting to him the important monastery of Montverdun. The priory at the Abbé de La Chaise-Dieu's restaurant, remained under the patronage of the Earl of Forez who gave up this right in 1304, in exchange for the abbot's renunciation of the right to collect for one year the income of any vacant prebend in the college of Montbrison.
The priory had 19 monks. Montverdun had the patronage of the churches of Montverdun, La Chamba, Jullieu (Saint-Etienne-le Molard), Palogneux, Saint-Agathe-la-Bouteresse, Saint-Clement (Montverdun), Saint-Etienne-le-Molard, Saint-Paul of Uzore. The prior was decimator at Montverdun and Saint-Paul d'Uzore (1456) (all FRANCE - Loire -42). On its mound, the priory included besides the monastery and the church, a castle surrounded by high walls and farm buildings. At the foot of the castle, the prior had other farm buildings. Still dependent on the prior 2 closed vine, on the hillside, 2 ponds, woods, including that of Uzore, and the high forest of Saint-Jean-la-Vêtre.
The prior censive arose on Montverdun, Saint-Jean-la-Vetre, Pouilly-les-Feurs, Saint-Symphorien, Lay, Saint-Paul-de-Vezelin, Césay, Neulise and Bully.
Ordinary Lord and vigilante, the Prior had on his men of Montverdun, to the number of 60 heads of family in 1540, all seigneurial rights. His justice, the execution of death sentences and mutilation belonging to the count, extended beyond Montverdun on his censitaires at Saint-Paul-d'Uzore, Meximieux, Chabet, Saint-Clément-sous-Montverdun, Lizérieux, The Rugneux, La Vanelle and La Boulaine. The Earl of Forez had custody of the priory and collected a tax. The prior was paying tribute to the count for the castle of Montverdun. The prior received homage : from Hugues Saraman, knight, for his goods on both sides of the Lignon, with the exception of "the barn" where he resided (1256), Pierre Guyn, "damoiseau", for his property in Jaumar, parish of Marcoux before 1259. After the annexation of La Chaise-Dieu in 1233, the abbot placed under his control 7 priories of the diocese of Lyon.

Useful information :
Mairie – Le Bourg – 42130 MONTVERDUN
Tel : 04 77 97 47 14 / Fax : 04 77 97 59 87
Email : mairie-de-montverdun@wanadoo.fr

Tourism
Association du Pic de Montverdun – Le Prieuré – 42130 MONTVERDUN
Tel/Fax : 04 77 97 53 33
Email : amisdupic@orange.fr
Net : prieure-montverdun.monsite.orange.fr

MONTVERDUN (Saint-Clément)

The church was under the patronage of the priory Saint-Pierre de Montverdun.

Useful information :
Mairie – Le Bourg – 42130 MONTVERDUN
Tel : 04 77 97 47 14 / Fax : 04 77 97 59 87
Email : mairie-de-montverdun@wanadoo.fr

Tourism
Association du Pic de Montverdun – Le Prieuré – 42130 MONTVERDUN
Tel/Fax : 04 77 97 53 33
Email : amisdupic@orange.fr
Net : prieure-montverdun.monsite.orange.fr

MORNAND-EN-FOREZ

The church was under the patronage of the rural priory Saint-Nicolas de La Boulaine (FRANCE - Loire - 42). It was given in 1116 to the Chaise-Dieu. The prior of La Boulaine raised dimes at Mornand.

Useful information :
Mairie – Le Bourg – 42600 MORNAND-EN-FOREZ
Tel : 04 77 97 18 77 / Fax : 04 77 97 02 52
Email : mairiemornand-en-forez@wanadoo.fr

MORNAND-EN-FOREZ (Champ)

The church was under the patronage of the rural priory Saint-Nicolas de La Boulaine (FRANCE - Loire - 42). It was given in 1116 to the Chaise-Dieu. The prior of La Boulaine raised dimes at Champ.

Useful information :
Mairie – Le Bourg – 42600 MORNAND-EN-FOREZ
Tel : 04 77 97 18 77 / Fax : 04 77 97 02 52
Email : mairiemornand-en-forez@wanadoo.fr

PALOGNEUX

The church was under the patronage of the Saint-Pierre de Montverdun Priory (FRANCE - Loire - 42).

Useful information :
Mairie – Le Bourg – 42890 PALOGNEUX
Tel/Fax : 04 77 24 53 53
Email : commune-de-palogneux@orange.fr
Net : www.mairie-palogneux.fr

POUILLY-LES-NONAINS (Saint-Martin-de-Boisy)

The rural priory Saint-Martin, known in 1225, was located 52 km from Montverdun (FRANCE - Loire - 42), to which it was submitted in 1233. The chapel recognized in La Chaise-Dieu by the church of Lyon in 1116, was the patronage of the prior. The prior was decimator. The prior had a censive in Saint-Martin-de-Boisy. The prieural domain included, around the buildings, a ground and a pond.

Useful information :
Mairie – 170 rue des Monts Madeleine – 42155 POUILLY-LES-NONAINS
Tel : 04 77 66 83 75 / Fax : 04 77 66 84 50
Email : mairie@pouilly-les-nonains.fr
Net : www.pouilly-les-nonains.fr

SAINT-APPOLINARD

The church, in the diocese of Vienne (FRANCE -Isère - 38), was under the patronage of the prior. The church depended on the priory of Saint-Sauveur-en-Rue (FRANCE - Loire - 42). The prior of Saint-Sauveur was decimator in Saint-Appolinard. The church was donated by the archbishop of Vienna, Guy of Burgundy in 1090.

Useful information :
Mairie – Le Bourg – 42520 SAINT-APPOLINARD
Tel : 04 74 87 37 49 / Fax : 04 74 87 44 60
Email : mairie.stappo@wanadoo.fr

SAINT-DENIS-SUR-COISE

The priory Saint-Denis, known in 1225, was located 41 km from Montverdun (FRANCE - Loire - 42), which was attached in 1233. The church recognized La Chaise-Dieu by the church of Lyon (FRANCE - Rhône - 69) in 1116, was placed under the patronage of the prior.

Useful information :
Mairie – Le Bourg – 42140 SAINT-DENIS-SUR-COISE
Tel/Fax : 04 77 54 34 13
Email : mairie-de-st-denis-sur-coise@wanadoo.fr
Net : www.saint-denis-sur-coise.fr

SAINT-DIDIER-SUR-ROCHEFORT

The church under the patronage of Notre-Dame de l'Hôpital-sous-Rochefort priory (FRANCE - Loire - 42), was confirmed in La Chaise-Dieu in 1116 and then in the 13th century priory. The prior was decimator.

Useful information :
Mairie – Le Bourg – 42111 SAINT-DIDIER-SUR-ROCHEFORT
Tel : 04 77 97 90 51 / Fax : 04 77 97 93 43
Email : mairie-st-didier@wanadoo.fr

SAINT-ETIENNE-LE-MOLARD

The church was under the patronage of the Saint-Pierre de Montverdun Priory (FRANCE - Loire - 42).

Useful information :
Mairie – Le Bourg – 42130 SAINT-ETIENNE-LE-MOLARD
Tel : 04 77 97 57 05 / Fax : 04 77 97 55 98
Email : mairie.lemolard@wanadoo.fr

SAINT-ETIENNE-LE-MOLARD (Jullieu)

The church was under the patronage of the Saint-Pierre de Montverdun Priory (FRANCE - Loire - 42).

Useful information :
Mairie – Le Bourg – 42130 SAINT-ETIENNE-LE-MOLARD
Tel : 04 77 97 57 05 / Fax : 04 77 97 55 98
Email : mairie.lemolard@wanadoo.fr

SAINT-GENEST-MALIFAUX

The church, in the diocese of Lyon, was under the patronage of the prior. The church depended on the priory of Saint-Sauveur-en-Rue (FRANCE - Loire - 42). The prior of Saint-Sauveur was decimator at Saint-Genest-Malifaux.

Useful information :
Mairie – Le Bourg – BP 1 – 42660 SAINT-GENEST-MALIFAUX
Tel : 04 77 51 20 01 / Fax : 04 77 51 26 71
Email : mairie@st-genest-malifaux.fr
Net : www.st-genest-malifaux.fr

SAINT-JULIEN-MOLIN-MOLETTE

The church, in the diocese of Vienne (FRANCE - Isère - 38), was under the patronage of the prior. The church depended on the priory of Saint-Sauveur-en-Rue (FRANCE - Loire - 42). The prior of Saint-Sauveur was decimator at Saint-Julien-Molin-Molette, whose inhabitants had to be excommunicated in 1332 to compel them to pay.

Useful information :
Mairie – Route du Bourg Argental – 42220 SAINT-JULIEN-MOLIN-MOLETTE
Tel : 04 77 51 51 11 / Fax : 04 77 51 50 79
Mail : mairie.st.julien.molin.molette@wanadoo.fr
Net : www.saint-julien-molin-molette.fr

SAINT-LAURENT-ROCHEFORT (Rochefort)

The castrale chapel was under the patronage of the Notre-Dame de l'Hôpital-sous-Rochefort priory (FRANCE - Loire - 42). The chapel was donated by the church of Lyon (FRANCE - Rhône - 69) in 1116, to the priory in 1225. The prior was decimator.

Useful information :
Mairie – Le Bourg – 42130 SAINT-LAURENT-ROCHEFORT
Tel/Fax : 04 77 24 50 87
Email : mairie.stlaurentrochefort@wanadoo.fr
Net : www.saint-laurent-rochefort.com

SAINT-MEDARD-EN-FOREZ

The priory Saint-Médard, known in 1222, was located 32 km from Montverdun (France - Loire - 42), which was annexed in 1233. The prior was patron of this church, recognized in La Chaise-Dieu in 1116 by Lyon church (FRANCE - Rhône - 69), as well as the neighboring church of Aveyzieux (FRANCE - Loire - 42). The prior had a stronghold and various properties. His censive rose on Saint-Médard, Aveyzieux, Saint-Denis-sur-Coise and Craintilleux (all FRANCE - Loire - 42). The prior was lord righteous in Saint-Médard, Aveyzieux. La Girinière, execution of death sentences and mutilation belonging to the Earl of Forez, guardian of the priory.

Useful information :
Mairie – Le Bourg – 42330 SAINT-MEDARD-EN-FOREZ
Tel : 04 77 94 05 21 / Fax : 04 77 94 11 12
Email : mairie-de-st-medard-en-forez@wanadoo.fr

SAINT-PAUL-d’UZORE

The church was under the patronage of the Saint-Pierre de Montverdun Priory (FRANCE - Loire - 42).

Useful information :
Mairie – Le Bourg – 42600 SAINT-PAUL-d’UZORE
Tel/Fax : 04 77 97 19 46
Email : mairiestpaulduzore@orange.fr

SAINT-PIERRE-DE-BOEUF

The priory Saint-Martin, in the diocese of Vienne (FRANCE - Isère - 38), depended on the priory Saint-André-le-Bas of Vienna. The church was restored in 1003. The church of Malleval (FRANCE - Loire - 42) depended on the priory Saint-Martin.

Useful information :
Mairie – 66 Grande Rue – 42520 SAINT-PIERRE-DE-BOEUF
Tel : 04 74 87 11 30 / Fax : 04 74 87 10 47
Email : mairiestpierredeboeuf@wanadoo.fr
Net : www.saintpierredeboeuf.com

SAINT-SAUVEUR-EN-RUE

The conventual priory Saint-Sauveur was located 100 km from La Chaise-Dieu. It was founded and endowed by Artaud Pagan lord of Argental (Bourg-Argental - FRANCE - Loire - 42) in 1061. The priory was united with the college of the Jesuits of Tournon (Tournon-on-Rhone - FRANCE - Ardèche - 07) in 1607. The priory had seven monks. The church was donated to La Chaise-Dieu by the founder, and remained under the patronage of the prior as well as that of Bourg-Argental (FRANCE - Loire - 42), Burdignes (FRANCE - Loire - 42), Saint-Appolinard ( FRANCE - Loire - 42), Saint - Julien - en - Goye (Savas - FRANCE - Ardèche - 07), Saint - Julien - Molin - Molette (FRANCE - Loire - 42), Vanosc (FRANCE - Ardèche - 07), Vocance ( FRANCE - Loire - 42) and Argental in the diocese of Vienne: Marlhes (FRANCE - Loire - 42), Riotord (FRANCE - Haute - Loire - 43) in the diocese of Le Puy; Saint-Genest-Malifaux (FRANCE - Loire - 42) in the diocese of Lyon.
The prior was decimator at:
- St. Saviour,
- Bourg-Argental
- Burdignes,
- Saint-Appolinard (1476),
- Saint-Julien-en-Goye (1265-1266) whose inhabitants had to be excommunicated in 1332 to compel them to pay,
- Saint-Julien-Molin-Molette whose inhabitants had to be excommunicated in 1332,
- Vanosc where the 8th was abandoned to the vicar for his sustenance in 1278,
- Vocance where a part was abandoned serving it in 1278,
- Marlhes where the tithes were disputed by the Templars who desisted in 1272 for a rent,
- Riotord
- and Saint-Genest-Malifaux 1443).
The prieural area included important lands, including the forests of Taillard and Vocance and the barn of Saint-Sauveur-de-Lachalm, located in the Rhone, given in 1141 by the lords of Castle Serrières (FRANCE - Ardèche - 07). It was the occasion of 2 conflicts, one with the prior of Serrières which challenged the tithe rights of the Casadéens, attested as of 1281 and was rejected (1322), the other with the pontonniers of Serrières.
The Prior was the censor, banal and vigilante lord of Saint-Sauveur since the foundation. The prior faced difficulties on the part of the lords of Montchal (1168) (FRANCE - Loire - 42) and especially Pagan d'Argental (1174). The prior's jurisdiction was not limited to Saint-Sauveur, but extended to its censitaires at Saint-Julien-en-Goye and Saint-Julien-Molin-Molette (1284). In addition to these parishes, the parish priests included those of Vanosc and Vocance. The priory was under the care of the Viennese dolphin. In 1269, Guigue VII confirmed his rights and possessions in exchange for a "free gift" of 40 pounds. The village of Saint-Sauveur was fortified in 1390 on the occasion of the war between French and English which resulted in a conflict between the officers of the king who claimed to demolish these fortifications judged by them harmful to those of Bourg-Argental, and the prior who threatened to "fire a bombard on the king's commissioner" (1433).

Useful information :
Mairie – 1 place du 8 Mai 1945 – 42220 SAINT-SAUVEUR-EN-RUE
Tel : 04 77 39 20 33 / Fax : 04 77 39 25 33
Email : mairie.sauveur.en.rue@wanadoo.fr

SAINTE-AGATHE-LA-BOUTERESSE

The church was under the patronage of the Saint-Pierre de Montverdun Priory (FRANCE - Loire - 42).

Useful information :
Mairie – 15 route de la Bastie – 42130 SAINTE-AGATHE-LA-BOUTERESSE
Tel : 04 77 97 41 93 / Fax : 04 77 97 56 21
Courriel : mairie@ste-agathe-la-bouteresse.fr

SAVIGNEUX

The Convent Sainte-Croix priory was located 75 km from La Chaise-Dieu. It was known from 1116. The monastery could have been founded by the Counts of Lyon (FRANCE - Rhône - 69) in the Xth century and submitted by them to La Chaise-Dieu. The priory maintained 12 monks. It was united in 1781 to the Oratorians of Montbrison (FRANCE - Loire - 42). The church was confirmed at the Chaise-Dieu by the church of Lyon in 1116. The church was at the presentation of the prior in 1225, as well as those of Boisset-les-Montrond, Chalain-le-Comtal, Montbrison, La Madeleine, Saint-André and Saint-Pierre (all FRANCE - Loire - 42).
The prior was decimator at Savigneux, Boisset, Chalain and Montbrison (FRANCE - Loire - 42). The prior had a censive direct Savigneux, Barges and Boisset. He received homage, as in 1251, that of Gaudemard Castle Escotay, who took over his property in the parish of Savigneux and Moingt and in 1313 that of Pierre du Vernet for his property Boisset. The prieural domain was increased in 1257 when Hugues Grosella, damoiseau sold him a part of the land, seigniory and justice of Savigneux.

Useful information :
Mairie – Place du 8-Mai – BP 13 – 42600 SAVIGNEUX
Tel : 04 77 96 79 79 / Fax : 04 77 58 80 63
Email : mairie@savigneux.fr
Net : www.savigneux.fr

USSON-EN-FOREZ

The priory of the diocese of Puy-en-Velay (FRANCE - Haute-Loire - 43), was located 32 km from La Chaise-Dieu. He was known in 1306, at the time of his union with that of La Chaulme (FRANCE - Puy-de-Dome - 63). The church was donated to La Chaise-Dieu by William of Baffie in 1087. The church was the patronage of the prior (1439-1638). The tithes were paid to the prior (XVI-XVIII century). The prior censive was acquired on 3 villages of the parish in 1226, Guillaume, lord of Usson. Having bought other cens, the prior had, at the beginning of the XIVth century, a vast « directe » (concession of lands) on the left bank of the Ance on which he made himself known in 1312, the low justice, the high remaining at the secular lord.

Useful information :
Mairie – Place de l’Eglise – 42550 USSON-EN-FOREZ
Tel : 04 77 50 61 25 / Fax : 04 77 50 64 89
Email : mairie.ussonenforez@wanadoo.fr
Net : www.usson-en-forez.fr

VALFLEURY

The Notre-Dame Rural Priory was located 101 km from La Chaise-Dieu. It was founded by Saint-Robert at the time of which the village and the church of Valfleury belonged to La Chaise-Dieu. It was united in 1262 to Montverdun then to Savigneux (both FRANCE - Loire - 42). The priory maintained 2 monks.
The priory was located in the parish of Saint-Christô-en-Jarez (FRANCE - Loire - 42), without curial rights, which led to a conflict with the prior of Saint-Romain-en-Jarez (FRANCE - Loire - 42) , patron saint of the Church of Saint Christo, about parochial rights. An arbitral award of 1263 admitted the existence of a cemetery at Valfleury, but only for the use of the monks and converses of La Chaise-Dieu, their servants and familiars. As for the revenues of the chapel of Valfleury (frequent pilgrimages), they belonged entirely to the monks.

Useful information :
Mairie – 1 Place de la Mairie – 42320 VALFLEURY
Tel : 04 77 20 77 01 / Fax : 04 77 20 78 59
Email : mairie-de-valfleury@wanadoo.fr
Net : www.valfleury.fr